Marlboro vs. Roll-your-own Tobaccos

Big Release is Dead, Continual Development is King, "Release Early, Release Often" and some other open-source-with-no-economic-value-hubris are nothing but myth and fallacies. I may not be "in the circulation" for quite sometime or I don't want to be anymore. After researching further about "The Man Who Moved 14 Million iPods last 2005" and starts turning things around again. I had come to realized that some guys in the Open Source community who's doing their own style of evangelism practically "don't get it".

How you[The Muggle] would like to buy my software? With a nice looking box and a cool manual that you will only read once and display it in your bookshelf because it really looks damn cool and you want to flaunt your guest that you "have" it? Or simply download it from the Web, pay and get a "Thank you" from an emotionless server?

Would you [The Muggle] use an application that you bought[most of the time for a premium] but can't feel it's your own because it's running from a server somewhere in Cayman Islands and it's just being served up to you through the browser?

Again, how would you[The Muggle] like to buy my software? With a nice looking gadget that runs it? That you can use in your car, at work, at play? Or does it requires Hibernate, Appfuse and all this shit just to make it work? And can't rely on them for the after-download-and-deploy service? Don't get me wrong I know it's open source.

Where's the prestige? Where's the value that it puts in everyones' heads? Get it?

When I buy the latest Porsche, I know my neighbors will going to talk about me, When I buy anything with real value, the value returns to me in many forms. Get it?

Comments

Popular Posts